Pages

Contact

169 E Jefferson St* Franklin, In 46131
(317)-474-4889* The Art Of Kira Website * Facebook Page*Pinterest Page

Calendar

Friday, August 21, 2009

Book Review...


Yada Yada Prayer Group
written by Neta Jackson




Book Description:
What do an ex-con, a former drug addict, a real estate broker, a college student, and a married mother of two have in common?
Nothing, or so I thought. Who would have imagined that God would make a group as mismatched as ours the closest of friends?
I almost didn't even go to the Chicago Women's Conference--after all, being thrown together with five hundred strangers wasn't exactly my "comfort zone." And being placed in a prayer group of twelve women from such diverse backgrounds seemed completely awkward.
But something happened that weekend to make us realize we had to hang together. The "Yada Yada Prayer Group" was born, and we decided to meet regularly to pray for each other: knocking off each other's rough edges and learning to laugh and cry along the way! And when I faced the biggest crisis of my life, God used my newfound girlfriends to help teach me--Jodi Baxter, longtime Christian "good girl"--what it means to be just a sinner saved by grace.



Book Review by Kira Brant:
I loved this book! I have been wanting to read it for awhile now, and since Neta is coming to our store in a couple of months, I wanted to make sure I had it read so I could intelligently talk to her about her writing. I didn't want to put it down!


The main character, Jodi, is a suburban wife, mother of two teenagers. The ttens are at that age that they don't really think that they need her anymore. Jodi feels a little pushed aside at times, something that I think we call go through in our own ways. She grew up in a Christian home and never really had any hardships in her life. She felt like everything was ok in her life.


When Jodi was put together in a prayer group with 11 other women who were completely different from her, it took some getting used to. But throughout the book, you see Jodi learn more about all of these women and how she learns to connect with all of them. At times, Jodi does seem to be a little "holier than thou," but I don't think that she meant to be in a disrespectful way. She was a little whiny at times, but again, I think we all are at times. None of us are perfect, and I think you really see that in her character because she does seem to come from the typical white suburban family, but you learn that she has her own issues too in her marriage.


Each of the women in the Yada Yada Prayer Group has their own distincitve personalities. They are all different and throughout the book you learn to appreciate all of their qualities. I loved how I was able to picture each one of these women, like I was watching a movie while I was reading the book. I think when you read it, you will be able to pick out your "favorite" woman.
I loved each of them, but I was really drawn to Avis. I could go on about each of the women, but you have to read it to form your own opinions about each of them.


I am so looking forward to reading the entire series so I can conitnue to get to know all of the women and how their relationships grow. Come and meet Neta Jackson at Kira's Cottage Christian Store on Thursday, October 15 from 3:00-4:30. Get your book signed and talk to her about this fabulous series of books along with her newest series, The Yada Yada House of Hope.

No comments:

Search This Blog