Pages

Contact

169 E Jefferson St* Franklin, In 46131
(317)-474-4889* The Art Of Kira Website * Facebook Page*Pinterest Page

Calendar

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Halfway Herbert book review



We are having storytime this week on Thursday, June 2 @ 1:30 pm. I was reading over Halfway Herbert today (which is the book for Thursday) and started thinking...how often we do things halway in our lives.


This is a kids book, yet I got so much from storyline...

Herbert is a boy who never finished anything. He never finishes his homework, never finishes his food, never even finishes tying his shoes...It's the story of what happens when you do things Halfway.


Have you ever really thought about that?


I'm going to tell you a story that I will admit embarrasses me a bit, but I think it proves a great point...


When I was 16, I worked at Dairy Queen here in town. I like my job, but lets face it, at 16 I was not grown up and made plenty of mistakes. I was mostly well intentioned and a hard worker for the time, but sometimes did things halfway at my job. One day we were having a staff meeting. When I was walking in, right outside the door laid a $10 bill. (I think it was $10, but it could have been a $5) It doesn't really matter the amount. Anyway, the bill was kind of of laying inside a cup that was on the ground. It looked like someone had thrown the cup down.


Well, instead of picking up the cup and throwing it away, I grabbed the money and took it inside leaving the trash on the ground. I would like to think that my intent was to put it in the donation jar for Riley, however I'm not sure. I probably was being selfish and thought "Score! I just found money!" Little did I know this was a test from my boss to see if whoever found the money would actually throw away the cup. (He was going to give the money to the employee who actually threw the cup away)


I felt really stupid. I put the money into the Riley can, but I was embarrassed that I missed the point. You should always do your job all the way. No matter what you are doing, you should put your all into it. I will never forget that. I am 30 now, and something this small has never left my mind. I felt bad that day that I let my boss down.


Well, think of how often you let God down...We all have done it. Daily for most of us. Even small things, if we don't do them for our wonderful savior, we have let Him down. Thankfully, He is a gracious, forgiving, wonderful God who will never let us down. He always puts His all in for us...every moment of every day.




No comments:

Search This Blog